Monday, October 12, 2009

A little too honest

Our normal morning routine is that the boys get dressed while I am in the shower. Then we are all ready to go downstairs for breakfast together. I know that there is always a fair amount of playing and/or fighting while I'm in there. Many times I am shampooing my hair while helping them resolve a conflict or putting one (or both) on timeout. Today, when I turned the shower off, they were so loud, but it was all playing and belly laughing. No one was screaming or crying in pain. I fought the urge to tell them to "BE QUIET!", counted to 10 in my head, and then calmly called for them to come to me so I could remind them that they should be getting dressed. Here's how the conversation went:

Me- "Eric and Nick, please come here."
Eric- "(Groan....) How many spankin's do we get?"
Me- "What?! Why do you need a spankin'?" (I thought the usual: baby powder, crayons, or glue everywhere)
Eric- "We were being rude."
Nick- "Ya, we being rude."
Me- "What are you talking about? You guys sounded like you're having a good time and playing together. It was loud, but I don't see anyone hurt or crying."

(All said in a very matter-of-fact way)
Eric- "Well, we were rough-housing."
Nick- "And wrestling. And Eric chased me."
Eric- "Ya - I chased him and tackled him and we wrestled."
Nick- "We played on my bed."
Eric- "And I pretended to be a fire-engine that said 'What the heck'. I called Nick a little boy."
(And on and on it went)

Me- "Ok, well, it sounded like you guys were just playing. Now go get dressed."

Geez...sometimes I don't need EVERY detail, but I love the honesty!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Hettervik said...

Seriously that is soooooooooo adorable! Your boys sound like they are funny guys =)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home